Saturday, March 10, 2012

new shoes

for my thirtyeth birthday my son picked out for me a pair of six inch platformish high heels--lepord with a big black bow. i have to tell you. i've never owned a pair of shoes like that before.  Why? because I wear a size three, only tend o buy Payless specials that can last for many years!  I was raised on a budget and had trained myself to think"Pratical!" There was definatly nothing practical about these shoes other than the price.  I looked at my son, how could I squash his fun.  So I purchased them.  To be honest I loved the shoes and always looked with envy at the woman who could pull them off.  "Not me" I would tell myself.  To make a long story short. I bought the shoes and have loved them and enjoy whereing them any chance I can.  Which as a stay at home mom isn't often.  However, sometimes I where them in my pjs as I kiss my hubby off to work.  And sometimes I when no one else is home as I put laundry away just because I can and everytime I do I am reminded that I am allowed beautiful creations reflecting the self.  But there is a really neat part to this story.

The first time I wore them I thought I was going to die! Maceys. To buy groceries. I barely made it to the car! I learned quickly that soft lawn and heals don't match! When I got to the store,  I grabbed the nearest cart!!  I felt like a geriatirics with a walker.  With hips tucked and all I shuffled through the store.   It was a sight, I am sure! I made it one lap around the store and my feet were killing me.  Without even thinking I offered a silent prayer, "Heavenly Father, how do I walk in these!"  The prayer was more an expression of disbelief that anyone could rather than one for help, but I got a relpy!  Without words to explain how, my mind began to understand how to relax, stand up straight and stop shuffling.  I began to gain confidence. I couldn't believe it!
It makes me think of how the Savior has taught me how to wear my mothering shoes as well. My mothering shoes, my friend shoes, my spouse shoes, and once more my daughter of God shoes.  He has taught me who "I really am" and is helping me find comfort in wearing them around others as well. I venture to say, this is because he has worn our shoes.  What kind of shoes does he see you in?